The all-true adventures of Sally C., a slightly terrified grad student making her way west to London (no, not that London). Most names changed to protect the mostly innocent.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
It's like I never even left.
This morning's cup of coffee (or rather, this morning's coffee milkshake), at the Tim's around the corner, courtesy of the lovely Dr. G.
A wise friend (who shall remain anonymous rather than pseudonymous) has advised against using anyone's real name in this forum. Good advice, I think. I'll be coming up with pseudonyms for almost everyone who makes an appearance here. Some of the pseudonyms will be clever. Some will only seem clever to me. Some will be extremely lame. If you are one of those folks who makes appearances here, and you don't like your secret spy name, just let me know what you'd prefer to be called, and I'll fix you up. If you would prefer simply to be called by your actual name, I can do that, too.
Candid Camera
Along the same lines: I'll be making an effort to advise people when I'd like to post photos of them here, and to ask their permission to do so in advance of posting the actual photos. However, I'm pretty familiar with the ways in which my best intentions frequently go astray. As such, if you appear in any of the photos here and you would prefer not to, let me know. I will either remove or alter the offending photo.
I just finished reading this:
Van Helsing and his Crew of Light are somewhat inept, no?
"Professor, let me be your pet student again. Tell me the thesis, so that I may apply your knowledge as you go on. At present I am going in my mind from point to point as a mad man, and not a sane one, follows an idea. I feel like a novice blundering through a bog in a mist, jumping from one tussock to another in the mere blind effort to move on without knowing where I am going." (205-206)
Battles, dancing, monsters, music, blood and guts and twue wuv ... all in all, a delightful read.
"Cyclops, you ask me for my famous name. I will tell you / then, but you must give me a guest gift as you have promised. / Nobody is my name. My father and mother call me Nobody, as do all the others who are my companions." / 'So I spoke, and he answered me in pitiless spirit: / '"Then I will eat Nobody after his friends, and the others / I will eat first, and that shall be my guest present to you." / 'He spoke and slumped away and fell on his back, and lay there / with his thick neck crooked over on one side, and sleep who subdues all / came on and captured him, and the wine gurgled up from his gullet / with gobs of human meat. This was his drunken vomiting. (9.364-374)
"As with mariners shipwrecked near a coast, it would have been better for the good swimmers if they had been able to swim still further, whereas it would have been better for the bad swimmers if they had not been able to swim at all and had stuck to the wreck." (105)
I love Darwin's similes and metaphors.
"Yet he left not his love-gift, the lady's girdle; / Gawain, for his own good, forgot not that: / When the bright sword was belted and bound on his haunches, / Then twice with that token he twined him about." (4.2030-2033)
Oh, Gawain. I'm a little disappointed -- the belt is not *actually* magic, you know.
No comments:
Post a Comment